OctoPrint

After building the Rostock MAX V3, one of the first prints I made was a Raspberry Pi case.  As you can see, I don't have the printer fully dialed in yet, so this is very quick and dirty.  

If you haven't heard of OctoPrint, its a great piece of software that runs on a Pi to control 3D printers.  This frees up your computer to do other things, and since it runs Linux, you don't have to worry about Windows Update rebooting your machine in the middle of a print.

I hooked up the Pi to a wired router that I had laying around, because the OctoPrint instructions have all kinds of dire warnings about people hacking the wifi and starting printers on fire.  I'll configure it for wireless once I get a little more comfortable with it.

In the meantime, I've been using OctoPrint to print my first few prints.  It works great right out of the box.  I purchased Simplify3D software, which I've been using to slice models, and then I upload the g-code through a web interface to the Pi which does the printing.  

Now my laptop can stay in my office with my Up!Plus2 and my Geeetech Rostock Mini GS2, and my SeeMeCNC Rostock MAX V3 can be in the other room, and I can be printing with all of them at once.  The Pi has four USB slots on it, so eventually the Godzilla printer will reside in this room and be controlled by it as well.

The last thing I really need to get is a battery backup for this room.  Everything in the office is backed up.  We've had a lot of stormy weather recently and the last thing I want to to be halfway through a 20 hour print and have the power go out.



No comments:

Powered by Blogger.