Bump Stop Switches and Cable Clips


I went through a few more revisions on the design of the bump stop switches before landing on this one that I'm pretty happy with.


I also printed some of these cable clips by mgx and started stuffing some of the wires into the channels in the aluminum.  These work great, but you have to print them standing on end or they will be too loose.


I printed one of these snap in spool holders, by mgx also.  Its surprisingly sturdy.  I'm just not sure whether I will use it yet, because I'm not sure where the extruder will be yet.

Some day I'd like to do a flying extruder, meaning the extruder would be suspended in mid air above the hot end.  This has various advantages, but its difficult and complicated.  For now I just want to get the printer working.

What I plan to do is mount the extruder on one of the horizontal shafts, so that it pulls sideways on the filament and feeds it from the adjacent spool.  It will then push the filament out the other end, through the Bowden tube, arcing down to the hot end.


2 comments:

  1. Just started reading your blog. Did you do the PCB on those switches or did you buy them pre-made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I bought them pre-made from "zyltech" on ebay. I designed the mounting bracket (brown plastic behind it) myself, and will be posting STLs to thingiverse at some point soon.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.