The Build Plate

The build plate, also known as the print bed, is the flat surface that the printer prints objects onto.  In most cases it is made from either aluminum or glass, and topped with coatings like hair spray or glue stick to make sure the parts adhere.

My Up Plus2 printer came with a perf-board print surface, but I eventually swapped it out for a sheet of Lexan (polycarbonate.)  This sits on top of an aluminum plate.  The aluminum plate has a heating element inside of it that no longer works.  Some materials, like ABS, require a heated build plate so I can no longer print with them.  Others, like PETG don't necessarily require it, but things will print better/easier if you have a heated bed.

On the big printer, the bed is going to be really big, so it will be difficult to make sure it is perfectly flat.  even a steel sheet of that size could sag in the middle if not properly supported (or really really thick).   I was looking around for a thick round glass table top at the local thrift stores, when I asked my parents (frequent thrift-store patrons) to keep an eye out.  My Dad mentioned that he had some old sheets of slate chalkboard laying around that he could cut for me.

I sent him the dimensions and he cut a cardboard template.  I fit it to the base to make sure our measurements were right.


On Christmas Eve, my Dad delivered the cut slab of 3/4 inch slate.  It fits perfect!  Its really heavy.  I think that will be a good thing though, keeping the printer stable. 

I disassembled the whole printer again, and reassembled it on what used to be my computer desk.   I removed the shelves, and now its a 3D printer desk. 

The only question is if the molten plastic will stick to the slate. I think it will act like glass, but the porosity will give it more bite.  On the other hand it might adhere too well, and I'll never be able to get anything un-stuck. There's only one way to find out.  Whether or not it works, I think its going to be a cool experiment.




No comments:

Powered by Blogger.