Putting Pen To Plastic

A week or two ago, my Soyan 3D printing pen arrived from Amazon.  I finally tried it out today, and it is a LOT harder to use than it looks. You have to hold it in place in mid-air for a few seconds while the plastic cools, any time you want to draw a line that isn't connected to an existing line. With a half hour of practice, I was able to make a few 3D shapes.

I used the samples of random colors of plastic that came with it.  Most of them use PLA but this one came with ABS so I went with it.  The ABS doesn't cool as fast, and I think that made it a lot harder to use.  To get the kind of quick cooling you need to build in 3D like they do in the videos, you would almost want to have a desk fan going.  That's probably not a bad idea anyway because I could smell the hot ABS fumes coming from it.

It was fun, but I don't think I'll use it much. I mostly bought it to use as a sort of glue gun to repair broken and failed prints.

I had the idea to try to decorate a 3D printed thing with it, so I gave it a shot.  What do you think?
Coal Dog decorated with pink eyelids





No comments:

Powered by Blogger.