Working on the Design

I've decided to go with a delta type printer for sure.  I'm going to base it off of a Kossel, but with my own customizations.  I'm going to use 1 inch aluminum extrusion for the frame, and print the plastic parts on my Plus2, unless any of them are too big, then I'll send them to my buddy Jon to print on his RostockMAX.  The original Kossel uses a smaller extrusion so I'll have to scale up some parts.

The parts list for the Kossel and the Rostock are both on RepRap.org.  Some of the differences are the Kossel uses aluminum extrusions for the horizontal components of the frame, while the Rostock uses cutouts of wood, acrylic, or masonite.  I'm going to go with the Kossel type frame, but I'm going to use the truck designs and possibly some other parts from the Rostock design.

The RostockMAX, made commercially here in Indiana by SeeMeCNC, uses a 1 inch aluminum extrusion from 80/20, which also happens to be here in Indiana near Fort Wayne.  When Jon bought his printer, we drove up and visited the factory in Goshen, and picked it up instead of having it shipped.  I took some pictures of the lobby, but apparently I was so rapt in awe that I forgot to take any more pictures once we got inside the actual factory itself.  They had all sorts of laser cutting machines, plastic extrusion machines, metal machining, and CNC machines.  They make almost all of their parts in house.
This was a Rostock in the middle, a RostockMAX on the left, and RostockMAX v2 on the right.




As you can see, the RostockMAX is an amply large printer. It has a build area of a circle about a foot in diameter.  I want to make mine just a little bit bigger than that.  It uses three 32 inch extrusions.  I think I will scale mine up to about 48 inches.   

The Kossel designs typically use about a 2.5 to 1 ratio of height to width, so that puts my cross pieces at around 19.2 inches.  I think I will make it an even 18, as the plastic corners will add some to the width of each side.

I like the plastic parts of the Rostock Prisma I found on Thingiverse, so I may go with some variation of those. They're designed specifically for the 1 inch 80/20 aluminum.


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.