Musings on Corner Brackets

Soon I must make some of the most difficult decisions in the build.  The corner brackets will hold the frame of the printer together. Its imperative that they remain rigid to maintain quality prints. Should I invest in a set of aluminum ones?

The corner brackets also determine the overall look and feel of the printer, to a large degree.  If I 3D print my own, or order a set from someone on 3DHubs, for example, I can get them in any color I want.  I could even make them out of exotic filaments like wood.

Aluminum corner brackets like these Folgertech ones would be undoubtedly rigid and light weight.  They would look good with the aluminum frame, but color options are extremely limited.  They aren't too terribly expensive, but at around 50 bucks for a set, they aren't super cheap either.

A possible show stopper for the aluminum brackets, however, is I have only been able to find them in smaller sizes. I haven't seen any for 1 inch bars.

It's all good for now though.  I don't think I would be getting the full 3D printer building experience if I didn't at least start with a set of 3D printed PLA corners.  If they get too wobbly I might think about looking for metal ones down the line.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.