Power Corrupts

Muahahaha!

I ordered a power supply from eBay today.  Went with a 30 Amp unit from Zyltech.  I was hoping to get a free ATX from work, but that seems to have fallen through, plus I wanted something reliable.

I've heard a lot of good things about these types of supplies, made for powering LED arrays and such, and I found a couple of them from brands I recognized at a good price.

It came down to the Leap3D unit, which was around $40 with shipping, or the Zyltech, which was around $34 with shipping. I wish I would have bought it when I ordered the Arduino, which I bought from them, because I could have gotten free shipping on both items, but at that time I was still thinking I would use the ATX. supply.

This bad boy is rated at 360 watts, but whats really important is it can pump out a whopping 30 amps of current. I've seen "500 watt" ATX supplies that are still only rated at 25 amps.  This should be plenty of juice to drive those big stepper motors.

My next concern is going to keeping those RAMPS motor controllers cool.  If this thing is running anywhere near full power I'm sure they're going to be throwing off a LOT of heat.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.