Delta v Cartesian

I've been thinking about what type of printer to build.  There are two main types, cartesian and delta.

Cartesian printers are rectangular, and have motors that move in the x, y, and z directions, thus the name.  Delta printers have three motors all moving in the z direction, linked to a central point called the effector.

Cartesian printers are the most common, but delta printers have a number of advantages.  They are generally faster, more accurate, and easier to scale to large sizes.  The only downside I know of is that most of them use bowden rather than direct drive extrusion.  I want to go big with this build, and long bowden tubes are not good.

That being the case, I've decided to go with a Kossel type printer.  I'm planning to use 80/20 extruded aluminum for the frame.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.