Test Fitting The Frame



I printed three of bruckj's top corner brackets from http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1386783 today using some Nextpage GT-PLA.  

Besides being scaled for 80/20's 1010 (1 inch) Aluminum extrusions, these corners have a few improvements over some of the other Kossel or Rostock designs I've seen.  The pieces are small enough to print on my Up! Plus2, and I printed them upside down so that the good side would be on top.  (The STLs are upside down, so I really had them right side up.  It comes down to personal preference and whether your printer makes better bottom layers or top layers.)

The rounded corner actually helped me out with minimizing curling.  With my heated bed not working, the less surface area is touching the build surface the better.  I printed one right side up the first time, and the long thin areas curled up on me. 

I assembled a triangle (what would be the top of the machine) to get a feel for the fit and finish.  Even with only a few of the screws tightened, it already feels very solid.  


Close up

Tried them on for a test fitting.  I like this design a lot so far. 

I need to buy some washers.

This is going to be a BIG printer.  Full size Maker Faire Robot for scale

Another Corner Close Up

Looking good.  Once I get this printer up and running, I'll probably make a set out of ABS or PETG for long term use, and if I have any problems with those i might give aluminum corners a shot.  I don't have a heated bed right now so PLA is the best I can do.





No comments:

Powered by Blogger.