My First Look at Marlin

I downloaded the Arduino software this weekend, free (with suggested donation) from https://www.arduino.cc.  I've wanted to find an excuse to use an Arduino for something for a long time, and it looks like this is going to be it.

Most Delta RepRaps run on a modified version of the Marlin firmware. There are several versions available with slightly different modifications, but this one from https://github.com/jcrocholl/Marlin  was highly recommended on Youtube, so I proceeded to download it.

I've been a programmer for a long time, so I was right at home in the C code.  I can't wait to tinker with some of it after I get the printer up and running.  For now its just going to be modifying constants in the configuration files.  How many extruders, what type of power supply, etc.

Eventually I want to get into the slicing code and write custom infill patters and things like that. I was reading about how even though we are printing in 3 dimensions, infill patters are still essentially 2 dimensional.  There are advantages to smarter infill patters from reduced plastic usage to increased strength.

The 3D Printing Nerd did a video recently where he showed how to use Meshmixer to generate a three dimensional infill pattern for a large printed part.  Even this, though, was just a repeating grid. Imagine a 3 dimensional Veronoi grid, like a mass of soap bubbles.  Now imagine if those bubbles were larger in the middle, and smaller towards the edges of the object.  That's where I think the future of infill is going.

All of this is a side of 3D printing I was missing out on with the Up and its closed source software.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.