Servo Motors

The 5 pack of NEMA 17 stepper motor 42BYGHW811B  Dual Shaft  with 4800g.cm (70 oz-in) holding torque servo motors I ordered from Wantai on eBay arrived today. These little puppies are absolutely gorgeous!

NEMA is a rating for standard size and shape motors, with some being more common than others.  17 is a very popular size for mid to large size printers.  42BYGHW811 is the part number of a very powerful NEMA 17 motor used in the RostockMAX V2.

The 42BYGHW811B is almost the same thing.  They've got 1.8 degrees per step, and draw 2.5 amps. They pump out a massive 70 oz-in of torque.  But the 42BYGHW811B also has dual shafts (one coming out each opposing side.)  They were the same price as the single shaft so I thought why not.


I thought some day I might take advantage of the second shaft and add dual belts.  I've never seen that done, but I think it would move the trucks more accurately.  Another thing I haven't seen anybody do is a chain drive, like a bicycle chain.  Since the metal doesn't stretch, you wouldn't have any lag between the movement of the motors and the trucks.


Since this is my first 3D printer build, I'm going to go along with what others have done, using the standard 6mm GT2 belts and so forth.  Once I get it up and running I'll start experimenting with chain drives or dual belts or whathaveyou.

This gives me three motors for the three vertical belts, one for the extruder, and one left over for when I add a second extruder later on.


Spec Sheet


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.